The department of family and community medicine or preventive medicine is one of the departments of the clinical phase of university medical education. Plus theoretical and practical teaching , scientific research is conducted in this department and it includes all aspects of primary health care which covers the first and second levels of primary health care. It’s one of the newly established departments compared to other medical departments. The study program includes seven distinguished and integrated aspects , which are:
- Principles of epidemiology , scientific research methodology and biostatistics .
- Epidemiological research for infectious diseases , national programs and hospitals’ infections.
- Family medicine is a practical training in clinics , maternity centers and school health.
- Health and therapeutic nutrition.
- Epidemiological research for chronic diseases and symptoms.
- Vocational and environmental diseases .
- Primary health care plus the principles of administration and health information.