About the department
The department of Family and Community Medicine or Preventive Medicine is considered one of the clinical phase departments of the university medical education. In addition to the theoretical and practical teaching, the department conducts scientific research and expands its activity to include all primary health care fields that cover the first two levels of the primary health care fields. It is one of the newly established departments compared to other medical health field. This department academic program contains seven significant and integrated fields
- Epidemiological principles, scientific research methodology and medical statistics
- Epidemiological research of infectious diseases, national programs and hospital infections.
- Family Medicine, a practical training in clinics, maternity and child centers and school health.
- Healthy nutrition and therapeutic feeding.
- Epidemiological research of chronic diseases and pathological phenomena.
- Professional and environmental diseases.
- Primary health care in addition to the management principles and health information.
- Family Medicine is a comprehensive and continuing health care by treating the individual within the family as a society without restriction to sex irrespective of gender, age or disease type. This specialty consists on health, behavioral and social sciences.
- The training aims to prepare a cadre of family medicine. It deals with the individual within the family regarding his knowledge of prevention methods, as well as his ability to diagnose, treat and to build confidence with the trainer that allows criticism and frankness, to maintain a special record containing experiences and remarks and to accept criticism and guidance. It is the science and the art that studies the society’s health needs, organizes and provides health services, evaluates the health programs and develops them to boost health and disease prevention.
Community Medicine the training aims to prepare specialists in Community medicine to take charge of following:
- Specify and analyze the upcoming and expected problems in the society according to geographic, demographic, social, and economic facts and to propose appropriate solutions.
- Study the causes of health problems.
- Determine needs and health priorities in the society.
- Plan and manage health care programs that contain health progress, prevention, treatment and rehabilitation.
- Activate the health team work, involve the society individuals, and coordinate among various sectors related to health programs planning, organization and evaluation.
- Conduct and encourage researches, health studies and specially the practical ones.
- Participate in training the health sector personnel.
- Develop the health education programs in compliance with the society needs and ensure its participation.
- Evaluate and improve health services to increase its efficiency.